November 29, 2013

Southern Illinois Unprepared for Social Costs of Fracking Boom

There's an excellent piece on Huffington Post by...oh wait...it's by me! I'm on HuffPo! Woohoo!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I have a favor to ask, but first a clip.

The Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence is concerned southern Illinois is unprepared for the social costs of a potential fracking boom. Most attention is given to the environmental consequences of fracking, but a Pennsylvania study by Food & Water Watch is bringing focus to social impacts on rural areas. Arrests for nuisance crimes, drug use and sexually transmitted disease rates went up disproportionately in fracking regions.

I spoke with ILCADV's executive director, Vickie Smith, who says that law enforcement and social service agencies in fracking areas, such as North Dakota and Montana, have struggled with increases in domestic violence, sexual assault and other crimes that come with fracking booms.

Dickinson, N.D., for example, saw a 300 percent increase in assault and sex offense cases. The sheriff of Williams County, N.D., saw crime spike so sharply in three years he was forced to double the number of patrol deputies. The mayor of Sydney, Mont., became so concerned about rising violent crime, including a murder, after the fracking boom hit, he held a town meeting where women were offered tae kwon do classes and pepper spray.

I'm excited about this piece because it's an important problem I haven't seen anyone else in Illinois write about yet. Since I'm new at HuffPo I'd like to show them I can draw an audience. So, if you like what I wrote, please go to the page to read the rest and share it on facebook, twitter, give it a like, or leave a comment. Thank you!