October 7, 2013

This one time, in Arkansas, I saw an RV burst into flames

I was driving south to mess with Texas a few years ago (try it sometime!) when I pulled off the interstate in Arkansas for a nap. Like most public services in Arkansas, their rest stops don't offer much, but it was a place to pull over. As I rolled in, I saw someone standing outside their large RV looking worried as smoke escaped from under the hood. "Another overheated engine," I thought, as I turned down the Marshall Tucker Band (because what the hell else do you listen to while driving through Arkansas?), and went to the opposite end of the lot and for a little shut eye.

My nap didn't last long before noxious chemical odors invading my sinuses and lungs woke me up. I got out of the car and saw fire shooting up from the engine of that unfortunate RV. Within five minutes the entire vehicle was enveloped in flames at least 50 feet high. It was the most impressive fire I've ever seen.

It was Christmas time so I felt for the family, who were probably traveling to see relatives. They already had help so I decided to move on before the cops showed up and started asking questions. Or, to be honest, to avoid inhaling anymore of whatever toxins were coming from that vehicular barbecue.

I searched local news coverage that night, and sure enough, it made the news because the giant cloud of smoke was undoubtedly the most interesting thing seen that day by muskrats and Walmart shoppers for many miles around. I tried a search just now to see if I could find any archived stories, but "Arkansas RV fire" produces way too many results.

The funny thing is, not one of those news stories suggested that driving RVs might be a dangerous idea in general or that investing in RV manufacturers could be risky after one spectacular fire on the highway. That only happens when a Tesla electric car catches fire. When one Tesla catches fire it means electric cars are a bad idea. Because, you know, double standards and bullshit.

And that's why I told my Arkansas RV fire story.